powered by  

Guidelines for Traffic Management at Events

Guidelines for Traffic Management at Events in the Blacktown Local Government Area

When planning your event please be aware that when large numbers of people attend an event they can affect traffic and parking in the local streets. 

You may need to use barriers and traffic controllers to help with reducing traffic problems and helping motorists and pedestrians to stay safe.

The following notes provide an overview of the paperwork you may need to provide to help you, Council, Emergency Services, the RMS and public transport providers manage the traffic at your event.

It is important to note that Council requires advance notice (from several weeks to several months) to adequately consider your event and provide Council approval.

If you conduct an event that presents a risk to public safety without Council approval then:

  • Your public liability insurance may not pay a claim for damages if someone is injured or property is damaged at your event.
  • The Police can close your event at any time.

It is a good idea to phone Council to find out if your event will need a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) and Council approval.   By calling Council we may also be able to tell you if another big event is being planned for the same area.   Call Council on 9839-6000.

What size event are we talking about?

For very small events that are a “public assembly” Council will advise that you may only need to contact the local Police.  For example, a regular church service or private party where your property and local street parking are used and entry and exit to the property can be managed by each person attending the event, then you will only need to advise the local Police.

However, if the church service becomes quite popular or the party is expected to attract large numbers of people it is reasonable to expect traffic in the local area to be affected.   Therefore, you will need approval from Council to ensure the effect on local residents and businesses is minimised.

A TMP will be needed for events that require:

  • On road traffic management,
  • Additional public transport, and/or,
  • Special car parking arrangements.

This includes any event where local traffic will be affected by vehicles entering and exiting your property and you expect the vehicles to arrive or leave at the one time.  For example:

  • Concerts
  • Sporting events
  • Cultural festivals
  • Parties
  • Markets


  • Trade shows
  • Industry expos
  • Fetes
  • Fun runs
  • Marathons


  • Church services
  • Store openings or major sales
  • Music competitions
  • Charity events
  • Motor vehicle rallies
  • Etc


The TMP should describe how you will use traffic controllers, signage and other resources to ensure drivers and pedestrians enter and exit your event/property safely and the effect on the local community is minimised.

Who should you contact first?

Council is the “consent authority” so you should contact Council to discuss your event.  Our Traffic Officers can discuss your event and advise what the next steps will be to help you to manage traffic. 

Please call Council on 9839-6000.

Council Officers will ask you a number of questions to help us understand the size and nature of your event.  When you phone Council, please have sufficient information available to describe how you will:

  1. Ensure the safe separation of event participants, spectators, staff and volunteers from traffic, and,
  2. Manage the reduced capacity of the road system around your venue, and,
  3. Minimise the traffic impact on the non-event community and emergency services, and,
  4. Minimise costs to Council, Police and other state agencies.

How much paperwork is required?

During the initial discussions you will be advised on the level of detail required and the type of TMP you will need to submit to Council for approval.

Even if your event is just a street party, because you intend to close part of the road it will require a TMP and you need to be aware of the following requirements:

  1. Your application will be decided following a report from the Local Traffic Committee (LTC) to Council. If your application is approved, then all conditions of the approval must be followed.
  2. Your written applications must be made at least 8 weeks before the proposed event date. This is the minimum time required to allow for investigations and consideration of the matter by the LTC and the Council.
  3. Your application must give details of the section of the road to be closed, the date and start and finish times of the event.
  4. All occupants and residents within the closed off area and anyone else affected by closing the road must sign an agreement to the road closure for the event. The signed agreement must be attached to your application.

For larger events, a very detailed plan will be required.  The size of the event will determine the level of detailed planning needed.  For example, a TMP for a major sporting event can easily be 40-60 pages long.  To assist in completing your TMP, Council will supply you with an information package that includes:

  • The Traffic and Transport Management for Events process
  • A Police Schedule 1 form to apply for the holding of a public assembly.
  • A Transport Management Plan template.
  • A description of Council’s other requirements.

How much notice is required?

If you intend on conducting a very large event Council will need to see your draft TMP up to 6 months before the date of the event.   This amount of time is needed to:

  • Discuss the plans with Police, Transport for NSW, the RMS and public transport providers, and
  • Develop a report to Council’s  Local Traffic Committee (LTC), and
  • Review the LTC recommendations at a full Council meeting, and
  • Advise the event organiser of any conditions that must be complied with as part of the approval.
  • Ensure the event organiser has sufficient time to implement the conditions.

For a small event with minimal effect on local traffic the time needed to review your TMP and advise you of the conditions usually takes 8 weeks.

What about the Police, Transport for NSW and the RMS?

Council can provide you with the contact details for local Police, Transport for NSW and the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) representatives.  When you contact them they will advise you about what they expect you to do at the time of your event to maintain public safety and minimise the effects on traffic in the area. They will also advise Council of what they expect you to do.

The conditions of the approval will be finalised and documented at Council’s LTC meeting.

What costs are involved in a TMP?

At the current time, there are no fees charged by Council to review and approve a TMP for your event.   However, you will need to pay for:

  • An RMS accredited person to design and produce the TMP on your behalf.
  • Any signs, traffic controllers, additional Police, witches hats, etc that you will need for your event.  These should be listed in your TMP.

What other information is available on developing TMPs?

The Guide to Traffic and Transport Management for Events (Version 3.4 August 2006) is the document used by Police, Council, Transport for NSW and the RMS to determine the classification of your event and what level of planning and approval is required.  This document is available on the RMS website.

Event Planning  - General event planning information is available on the NSW Government website:

Insurance for community events – General event insurance information is available on the Council of Social Service of NSW website:

Workers compensation insurance -volunteer organisation with paid workers is regarded as a ‘person conducting a business or undertaking' (PCBU).  Under the WHS Act, all PCBUs have a primary duty of care to ensure workers (paid employees and volunteers) are not exposed to any risk to their health and safety.  General work place safety information is available at:


After your TMP is approved

1 If approval is given for your event, then you will be required to comply with several conditions including (but not limited to):"Neither Council nor the Local Traffic Committee for the City of Blacktown accepts any responsibility for any accident, mishap, injury or damage to any person or property as a result of the road closure or the event.

2 Before the date of the event the event organiser must:

a) Produce a Risk Assessment Plan prior to the event where Council considers it necessary.
b) Provide at least 24 hours written notice of the road closure to the Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance Service.  They are to be advised that Council has given approval.
c) Arrange for advertising of the event's traffic aspects to the community where required by Section 116 of the Roads Act 1993 or where Council considers it necessary.

3 Provide proof of insurance cover for the event satisfactory to Council's Insurance Officer. This would normally be in the form of a public risk insurance policy of no less than $10 million cover vesting in the name of a formalised committee for the time being of the relevant event closure group. (Contact Council’s Insurance Officer for further details.)

4 Any lane/street that is closed should be physically closed by barricades placed fully across the carriageway, together with flashing lights after sunset, and:

a)    All barricades, lights, signs and equipment used must comply with Australian Standard 1742.3 and the Roads & Traffic Authority "Traffic Control at Work Sites Manual (Sep 2003)" and be placed by persons certified by the RMS.
b)    The barricades and lights must be constantly manned by RMS accredited Traffic Controllers to ensure the safety of the event patrons/participants.
c)    All barricades, lights, signs, equipment and RMS accredited traffic management staff must be supplied at the event organisers cost.

5 During the event, the event organiser must:

a)    Maintain a four metre wide emergency vehicle lane through the closed road.
b)    Provide access for motorists and pedestrians with legitimate business within the closed section of roadway.
c)    Control noise as required by the Protection of the Environment Operations (Noise Control) Regulation 2008.
d)    Comply with Council's Law Enforcement Officers' directives.
e)    Comply with the provisions of the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997.

6 After the event, the street must be left in a clean and tidy condition immediately following the event.  If Council needs to clean the area or to repair or replace trees, street furniture, road or footways as a result of the event, then the event organiser will pay all costs.


Public Exhibitions

Click here for a list of developments on public notice and items of community interest.

Public Notices

The latest public notices are available through this link.

Have your say

Click here to see our community consultation page.

Latest News