weather14.2°CMostly sunnyforecast

powered by  

Complying Development

Some residential, commercial and industrial development can be constructed as complying development.

A proposal must meet all of the relevant development standards nominated (eg: height limits, floor space ratio, distances to boundaries), and comply with the Building Code of Australia.

In some instances, a notice of the proposal is sent to your neighbours.

Complying Development can be approved by a Council or a privately accredited certifier.

What can I build ?

The State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development) 2009 development standards can be viewed at:

The standards in this document are grouped into individual codes.

  • General Housing Code: for construction of dwelling houses and ancillary development, including swimming pools, garages and fences.
  • Housing Alterations Code: for internal and external alterations and additions to existing dwelling houses.
  • General Development Code: for miscellaneous items.
  • Commercial and Industrial Alterations Code: for internal building alterations, change of use proposals, first use of premises, mechanical ventilation systems, shop front and awnings, and several other types of alterations to commercial and industrial premises.
  • Commercial and Industrial (New Buildings and Additions) Code: for new industrial buildings and additions to commercial and industrial buildings.
  • Subdivisions Code: for strata subdivision of buildings other than dual occupancies.
  • Demolition Code: for demolition of various structures.
  • Fire Safety Code: for fire safety upgrades

Should you wish to lodge a Complying Development application with Blacktown City Council, the CDC application form is available on the Building and Development Application forms web page.


Electronic Housing Code (EHC)

The Electronic Housing Code (EHC) is an online system for the electronic lodgement of complying development applications under the NSW Housing Code for lots 200m2 and above. This system will also allow the user to determine if they are able to proceed with their development without further approvals, as an exempt development. For more information on the EHC, please view Council's EHC web page.

Should you have any further questions in relation to Complying Development, please contact Council's Duty Building Surveyor on (02) 9839-6000.


Public Exhibitions

Click here for a list of developments on public notice and items of community interest.

Public Notices

The latest public notices are available through this link.

Have your say

Click here to see our community consultation page.

Latest News