powered by  

Development - FAQ's

The following relate to the most commonly asked questions in relation to development/building work in Blacktown. In many cases, it will be necessary to speak to Council's Information Centre or Professional staff to answer specific questions relating to individual properties. Council's Building Surveying, Town Planning and Engineering staff provide enquiry support from 8.30am to 5.00pm daily on telephone number 9839 6000.

What do I need to submit to obtain approval to build?

The following information must accompany an application for Development Consent, Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate.

Building Plans (6 copies required) which indicate / consist of / are accompanied by:

(a) A Site Plan - showing the:

    • position of the proposed building in relation to site boundaries and any other building/s erected on the site,
    • location, boundary dimensions, site area and North Point of the land,
    • existing vegetation and trees on the land, and
    • existing levels of the land in relation to buildings and roads and whether the proposed development will involve any changes to these levels,

(b) A plan of each floor section,

(c) A plan of each building elevation,

(d) The level of the lowest floor in relation to adjacent ground level,

(e) The height, design, construction (ie: sectional elevation), and

(f) Details of soil erosion control methods, where necessary, in accordance with Council's Soil Erosion and Sediment Control Policy.

Building Specifications (Construction & Complying Development Certificates Only - 2 copies required) - which describe in detail the construction methods and materials for the proposed building or alteration, the method of drainage, sewage and water supply and shall state whether the proposed materials are new or secondhand.

Notification Plans (Development Consent Applications Only - 6 copies required) - A plan up to A3 in size showing the height and external configuration of the building in relation to the site and being adequate to allow adjacent owners/occupants to gain an understanding of the proposal. A notification plan is not required where the application proposes internal work not affecting the external building elevations.

Statement of Environmental Effects (Development Consent Applications Only - 5 copies required) - A written statement which demonstrates that the applicant has considered the impact of the proposed development on both the natural and built environments before and after construction and the proposed method/s to mitigate any adverse impact/s.

Waste Management Plan (Development Consent Applications and Complying Development Certificates only - 1 copy required), indicating:

(a) the type, volume and/or weight of all waste expected to be generated by the construction or demolition works

(b) How any waste is to be stored and/or treated on the project site,

(c) How any residual waste is to be dispersed, and

(d) Ongoing waste management on the project site.

For information on where you can recycle your construction and demolition waste, Council has developed a list of recyclers in the area.

 Construction and Demolition Waste Recyclers  (877 kb) 

Application Fees - For information regarding Council's Fees & Charges, visit the Goods and Services Pricing Schedule , our summary quick find page, or contact the Blacktown City Information Centre on 9839 6000.

Completed Application Form - Copies of the Development Application Form are available here, or alternatively through contact with the Blacktown City Information Centre.

How does the approval process work?

All building approvals since July 1998 are issued under the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979.

There are several types of development that affect particularly residential building construction, including:

  • Exempt Development is minor development that does not require any approval.
  • Complying Development is development that has low environmental impact and which can be certified as complying with predetermined standards.
  • Local Development is development other than Exempt, Complying or State Significant Development, requiring the Consent of Council. Council must assess the merits of the Application, including any submissions, before deciding whether to approve or refuse a Development Application.

Please refer to the following Department of Planning and Infrastructure website  for further information on the NSW planning system.

Do I need approval?

Certain types of minor developments, such as fences, pergolas, barbeques, are considered Exempt Development and thus do not need council approval as long as the proposal complies with the relevant criteria. To find out if your proposed development is exempt please refer to the Department of Planning and Infrastructure's Housing Code website.

What is Complying Development?

Complying Development is development that has low environmental impact and which can be certified as complying with predetermined standards. A Complying Development Certificate can be issued either by Council or an Accredited Certifier.

Currently, a Complying Development Certificate can be issued for a proposal complying with the development standards nominated under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

For a detailed explanation of the Complying Development process, please refer our Complying Development webpage.

Can I start work before I get approval?

No. It is an offence under the provisions of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 to commence work before Development Consent and a Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate have been issued.How much will it cost?

Fees for development are found in Council's Goods and Services Fee Schedule, and are generally based around the cost of the development proposal for Development Applications, or the relative size and complexity of a proposal for Construction Certificates and Complying Development Certificates.

Is my land located in a bushfire prone area?

Some areas of Blacktown are located within bushfire prone areas. Council has maps available for viewing at the Information Centre on the ground floor of the Civic Centre to assist in determining the impacts of bushland on your property. Further information on bushfire protection may also be obtained from the Rural Fire Service -

Do I need a fence around my pool?

Any pool that was constructed after 1 August 1990 must be provided with a child resistant barrier such as a pool fence which complies with the requirements of Australian Standard 1926.

A pool is defined under the Swimming Pools Act 1992 as:

an excavation, structure or vessel:

  • that is capable of being filled with water to a depth of 300 millimetres or more; and
  • that is solely or principally used, or that is designed, manufactured or adapted to be solely or principally used, for the purpose of swimming, wading, paddling or other human aquatic activity,
  • and includes a spa pool, but does not include a spa bath, anything that is situated within a bathroom or anything declared by the regulation not to be a swimming pool for the purposes of this Act
  • Approval is required prior to the construction or installation of any new swimming pool or spa.

Council's Swimming Pool Guidelines provides a summary of the requirements for both new and existing pools.

What are the requirements for swimming pool fencing?

Council's  Swimming Pool Guidelines provides a summary of the requirements for swimming pool fencing for both new and existing pools.


Public Exhibitions

Click here for a list of developments on public notice and items of community interest.

Public Notices

The latest public notices are available through this link.

Have your say

Click here to see our community consultation page.

Latest News