weather6.6°CMostly sunnyforecast

powered by  

Entertainment Venues

On the 26th of October 2009, the NSW State Government introduced legislation reforming the approval process associated with the provision of live entertainment in public venues.

The Department of Planning has produced a number of advisory notes and publications providing further information regarding these changes, which can be found through the Departments website, Planning for Entertainment.

Prior to this reform, any venues proposing entertainment required a Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) authorisation prior to the provision of live music /entertainment.

The legislative changes remove the need for many venues such as pubs, clubs and restaurants to obtain a separate formal approval to provide live music and entertainment.

In the new streamlined process, the only venues which require a formal approval to provide live entertainment are limited to:

  • Cinemas,
  • Theatres,
  • Concert Halls, and
  • Indoor Sports Stadiums.

These premises are granted a formal approval to conduct entertainment through the issue of a Development Consent under the provisions of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979, which provides for any relevant matters relating to fire safety and neighbourhood amenity to be addressed with relevant consent conditions.

The amended legislation requires that venues which are now exempt from an annual POPE or Entertainment Venue approval to adhere to all relevant conditions in any related Development Consents, Liquor Licenses and related legislation.

In addition, all venues remain subject to the provisions of the Protection of the Environment Operations Act, 1997, in relation to noise and other nuisances associated with the operation of a venue.

The following documents are provided to assist in preparing an application for venues requiring Development Consent to provide public entertainment.

Click here to link to the Development / Construction Application Form 

pdf.png DA Submisssion Requirements for Entertainment Venues.pdf

pdf.png Existing Fire Safety Measures on Premises.pdf

Should you have any concerns in relation to the manner in which entertainment is being provided in a venue within our City, please contact Council's Building Policy Team through Blacktown Council's Information Centre on (02) 9839-6000.



Public Exhibitions

Click here for a list of developments on public notice and items of community interest.

Public Notices

The latest public notices are available through this link.

Have your say

Click here to see our community consultation page.

Latest News