International Women’s Day is celebrated globally each year on 8 March to commemorate women’s achievements and highlight women’s equality worldwide.
The 2021 theme is #ChooseToChallenge.
"A challenged world is an alert world.
Individually, we're all responsible for our own thoughts and actions - all day, every day.
We can choose to challenge and call out gender bias and inequality.
We can choose to seek out and celebrate women's achievements.
Collectively, we can create an inclusive and more gender-equal world.
From challenge comes change, so let's all choose to challenge."
To highlight this event, we award Blacktown City's Woman of the Year at a special event in March. The award recognises the outstanding achievement of women within the local community through voluntary or paid work.
Blacktown City Woman of the Year 2021
Congratulations to the joint winners of the Blacktown City Woman of the Year 2021 Award, Rissa McInnes and Harinder Kaur.
On International Women’s Day, we were proud to introduce a wonderful video telling the story of the women of Council, both past and present.
The story continues to be written, and we encourage all women to be involved in their community wherever they can.
Watch the video below.
A woman aged 16 years and over who is currently living or working in the Blacktown local government area.
A woman who has:
made an outstanding contribution to their local community
inspired others to contribute to their local community
risen above adversity to reach their goals
consistently demonstrated exceptional and progressive leadership
mentored and inspired other women
demonstrated leadership, innovation and creativity.
Note: Self nominations will not be considered
1. Nominees must live or work in the Blacktown City local government area.
2. Nominees must be aged 16 years and over.
3. All nominees must give approval to be nominated.
4. Finalists may be required to attend an interview with an independent panel as part of the selection process.
5. Staff and Councillors of Blacktown City Council are not eligible for nomination for Blacktown City Woman of the Year.
6. Nominations must be received by noon, Monday 15 February 2021.
7. For more information please phone 9839 6203 or email.
A panel of women from the Women's Advisory Committee, including members of the community and local government representatives will consider nominations and select the Blacktown City Woman of the Year 2021.