Holding an event

Planning an event


If you want to hold an event in the Blacktown City there are many things to consider. This section will help you with fireworks approvals, busking, booking a public space, filming, banners and signage approvals.

Booking a public space

We have spaces that can be booked by community groups and not-for-profit agencies. These spaces can be used by these groups for multiple uses and will be assessed once applied for. 

Places available for booking:

  • Dawson Mall, Cleeve close, Mount Druitt

  • Civic Plaza, Flushcombe road, Blacktown 

  • Village Green, Flushcombe road, Blacktown

  • Main street, Blacktown 

Please email the Events and Sister Cities Unit at events.team@blacktown.nsw.gov.au with all of your event details.

Filming permits

All proposed Film/TV Production Shoots in the council area must be subject to a written application for approval to Council's Community Events Unit, except:

  • where filming is of a minor nature eg, news crews - where crew and equipment travel in one vehicle which is no larger than a passenger vehicle

  • where dedicated film location facilities and sites already exist. In this case, filming would proceed according to procedures already agreed.

Please review the filming fees and chargers(PDF, 82KB) before submitting an application.  You can also view the NSW  Local Government Filming Protocol if you have any concerns. 

All applicants must read and complete the Filming Policy and Application Form(PDF, 38KB). Once completed please email the form and a copy of insurance cover to council@blacktown.nsw.gov.au

We require a minimum of 7 working days notice in writing for 1 day or less filming, unless this requires road closures or use of parks reserves when 1 month's notice will be required.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mr Peter Filmer on 9839 6429 or email peter.filmer@blacktown.nsw.gov.au 

Fireworks guidelines

A license to have a fireworks display must be given by Safework NSW.

If your event is being held in a public space or on our property, we need to provide consent, before you can submit the application form to Safework NSW.

Please email notification to council@blacktown.nsw.gov.au

How to book a venue

View the many venues we have available for hire.

Banners and signage

Public signage is not permitted on any of our property or land without written consent from us. All prohibited signage erected will be removed.

Should you have any concerns, please contact our Civil and Parks Maintenance Team on 02 9839 6000. 


Busking is permitted at various spaces around Blacktown. A permit needs to be obtained from the Community Enforcement Team, who can be contacted on 02 9839 6000.

Anyone wishing to apply for a busking licence needs to fill out an application form at the administration counter and pay an application fee of $42.50. Once approved a weekly fee of $4.70 will be charged. The application will then be assessed and an approval letter sent out in the mail.

Terms and conditions

No amplified music/voice is to be used.

  1. Busking must not unreasonably interfere with pedestrian flow, public amenities or cause obstruction to traders or delivery vehicles.

  2. The area being used for busking is to be kept safe and clean while working and ensure that the site does not pose a threat to public safety.

  3. Busking is not to be carried out on private property.

  4. We reserves the right to cancel the permit at any time.

This permit must be produced when requested by 1 of our officers.

Traffic management guidelines

When planning your event please be aware that when large numbers of people attend an event they can affect traffic and parking in the local streets. 

You may need to use barriers and traffic controllers to help with reducing traffic problems and helping motorists and pedestrians to stay safe.

We require advance notice (from several weeks to several months) to adequately consider your event and provide approval.

If you conduct an event that presents a risk to public safety without our approval then:

  • your public liability insurance may not pay a claim for damages if someone is injured or property is damaged at your event.

  • the Police can close your event at any time.

It is a good idea to phone us to find out if your event will need a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) and approval. By calling us we may also be able to tell you if another big event is being planned for the same area.  

What size event are we talking about?

For very small events that are a “public assembly” we will advise that you may only need to contact the local Police.  For example, a regular church service or private party where your property and local street parking are used and entry and exit to the property can be managed by each person attending the event, then you will only need to advise the local Police.

However, if the church service becomes quite popular or the party is expected to attract large numbers of people it is reasonable to expect traffic in the local area to be affected. Therefore, you will need approval from us to ensure the effect on local residents and businesses is minimised.

A TMP will be needed for events that require:

  • on road traffic management

  • additional public transport

  • special car parking arrangements.

This includes any event where local traffic will be affected by vehicles entering and exiting your property and you expect the vehicles to arrive or leave at the one time.  For example:

  • Concerts

  • Sporting events

  • Cultural festivals

  • Parties

  • Markets


  • Trade shows

  • Industry expos

  • Fetes

  • Fun runs

  • Marathons


  • Church services

  • Store openings or major sales

  • Music competitions

  • Charity events

  • Motor vehicle rallies

The TMP should describe how you will use traffic controllers, signage and other resources to ensure drivers and pedestrians enter and exit your event/property safely and the effect on the local community is minimised.

Who should you contact first?

We are the 'consent authority' so you should contact us to discuss your event.  Our Traffic Officers can discuss your event and advise what the next steps will be to help you to manage traffic. 

Our Officers will ask you a number of questions to help us understand the size and nature of your event.  When you phone us, please have sufficient information available to describe how you will:

  1. ensure the safe separation of event participants, spectators, staff and volunteers from traffic, and,

  2. manage the reduced capacity of the road system around your venue, and,

  3. minimise the traffic impact on the non-event community and emergency services, and,

  4. minimise costs to Council, Police and other state agencies.

How much paperwork is required?

Even if your event is just a street party, because you intend to close part of the road it will require a TMP and you need to be aware of the following requirements:

  1. Your application will be decided following a report from the Local Traffic Committee (LTC) to Council. If your application is approved, then all conditions of the approval must be followed.

  2. Your written applications must be made at least 8 weeks before the proposed event date. This is the minimum time required to allow for investigations and consideration of the matter by the LTC and us.

  3. Your application must give details of the section of the road to be closed, the date and start and finish times of the event.

  4. All occupants and residents within the closed off area and anyone else affected by closing the road must sign an agreement to the road closure for the event. The signed agreement must be attached to your application.

For larger events, a very detailed plan will be required.  The size of the event will determine the level of detailed planning needed.  For example, a TMP for a major sporting event can easily be 40-60 pages long.  To assist in completing your TMP, we will supply you with an information package that includes:

  • The Traffic and Transport Management for Events process

  • A Police Schedule 1 form to apply for the holding of a public assembly.

  • A Transport Management Plan template.

  • A description of our other requirements.

How much notice is required?

If you intend on conducting a very large event we will need to see your draft TMP up to 6 months before the date of the event. This amount of time is needed to:

  • Discuss the plans with Police, Transport for NSW, the RMS and public transport providers

  • Develop a report to our Local Traffic Committee (LTC)

  • Review the LTC recommendations at a full council meeting

  • Advise the event organiser of any conditions that must be complied with as part of the approval.

  • Ensure the event organiser has sufficient time to implement the conditions.

For a small event with minimal effect on local traffic the time needed to review your TMP and advise you of the conditions usually takes 8 weeks.

What about the Police, Transport for NSW and the RMS?

We can provide you with the contact details for local Police, Transport for NSW and the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) representatives.  When you contact them they will advise you about what they expect you to do at the time of your event to maintain public safety and minimise the effects on traffic in the area. They will also advise us of what they expect you to do.

The conditions of the approval will be finalised and documented at our LTC meeting.

What costs are involved in a TMP?

Currently, we do not charge any fees to review and approve a TMP for your event. However, you will need to pay for:

  • An RMS accredited person to design and produce the TMP on your behalf.

  • Any signs, traffic controllers, additional Police, witches hats, etc that you will need for your event.  These should be listed in your TMP.

What other information is available on developing TMPs?

The Guide to Traffic and Transport Management for Events (Version 3.4 August 2006) is the document used by Police, councils, Transport for NSW and the RMS to determine the classification of your event and what level of planning and approval is required.  This document is available on the RMS website.



Event Planning 

General event planning information is available on the NSW Government website

Insurance for community events 

General event insurance information is available on the Council of Social Service of NSW website.

Workers compensation insurance

 volunteer organisation with paid workers is regarded as a ‘person conducting a business or undertaking' (PCBU).  Under the WHS Act, all PCBUs have a primary duty of care to ensure workers (paid employees and volunteers) are not exposed to any risk to their health and safety.  General work place safety information is available at: http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/NEWLEGISLATION2012/Pages/default.aspx

After your TMP is approved

If approval is given for your event, then you will be required to comply with several conditions including (but not limited to): Neither council nor the Local Traffic Committee for the City of Blacktown accepts any responsibility for any accident, mishap, injury or damage to any person or property as a result of the road closure or the event.

Before the date of the event the event organiser must:

  1. Produce a Risk Assessment Plan prior to the event where we considers it necessary.

  2. Provide at least 24 hours written notice of the road closure to the Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance Service.  They are to be advised that we have given approval.

  3. Arrange for advertising of the event's traffic aspects to the community where required by Section 116 of the Roads Act 1993 or where we consider it necessary.

  4. Provide proof of insurance cover for the event satisfactory to our Insurance Officer. This would normally be in the form of a public risk insurance policy of no less than $10 million cover vesting in the name of a formalised committee for the time being of the relevant event closure group. 

Any lane/street that is closed should be physically closed by barricades placed fully across the carriageway, together with flashing lights after sunset, and:

  1. All barricades, lights, signs and equipment used must comply with Australian Standard 1742.3 and the Roads & Traffic Authority "Traffic Control at Work Sites Manual (Sep 2003)" and be placed by persons certified by the RMS.

  2. The barricades and lights must be constantly manned by RMS accredited Traffic Controllers to ensure the safety of the event patrons/participants.

  3. All barricades, lights, signs, equipment and RMS accredited traffic management staff must be supplied at the event organisers cost.

During the event, the event organiser must:

  1. Maintain a four metre wide emergency vehicle lane through the closed road.

  2. Provide access for motorists and pedestrians with legitimate business within the closed section of roadway.

  3. Control noise as required by the Protection of the Environment Operations (Noise Control) Regulation 2008.

  4. Comply with our Law Enforcement Officers' directives.

  5. Comply with the provisions of the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997.

After the event, the street must be left in a clean and tidy condition immediately following the event.  If we need to clean the area or to repair or replace trees, street furniture, road or footways as a result of the event, then the event organiser will pay all costs.