Diwali Lights Competition
Overall City Winners
1st Place: 72 Steeltrap Drive, Bungarribee
2nd Place: 62 Ward Street, Schofields
3rd Place: 106 Mosaic Ave, The Ponds
Ward 1: 106 Mosaic Avenue, The Ponds
Ward 2: 20 Palona Street, Marayong
Ward 3: 72 Steeltrap Drive, Bungarribee
Ward 4: 9 Ambrose Street, Glendenning
Ward 5: 62 Ward Street, Schofields
Best Rangoli: 64 Ward Street, Schofields
Best Street: Ward Street, Schofields
Following another successful celebration last year, Blacktown City's Diwali Lights Competition will be held again this November. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to get involved.
The ancient Hindu festival of Diwali celebrates the victory of light over darkness, with observers around the world lighting lamps and candles in and around homes and temples. These lights are said to help the goddess Lakshmi - goddess of wealth - find her way to homes and businesses. Adding to the colour are rangoli artworks on the floors of living rooms and courtyards; these are bright patterns (the most popular being a lotus flower) created from coloured sand, petals, flour or dry rice.
$2500 in cash prizes are available for the best decorated properties across our City’s 5 Wards.
Once again we will recognise the City's 'Best Street'. The Best Street title acknowledges neighbours who come together in the spirit of Diwali to create a festive and culture-filled atmosphere in the street they each call home. To be eligible for the title of Best Street, you must have a minimum of 3 decorated properties entered in the same street.
Judging criteria will be based on the overall appeal of the decorations displayed on the outside of your property.
Best Rangoli is a finalist only category, and is eligible for properties that advance through to the final round of judging only.
Preliminary Judging - from Monday 9 November to Thursday 12 November inclusive, between 8 pm to 11 pm.
Final Round Judging- Sunday 15 November, between 8pm to 11pm.
Should you have any questions, please contact our Community Events Team on 9839 6000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Proudly supported by
Terms and conditions
1. This competition is available to residents of the Blacktown Local Government Area only.
2. Preliminary Judging and photography will be take place from Monday 9 November to Thursday 12 November inclusive, between 8 pm until 11 pm. Final Round Judging, including Best Rangoli will take place on Sunday 15 November, between 8pm and 11pm. Entrants must ensure to have their display ready to be judged during these times. Entrants will be contacted individually if they have advanced to the final round of judging.
3. Judging is conducted through points awarded for the overall presentation of the property. The prizes for this competition will be awarded on the basis of the scores given. Traditional Christmas ornaments or themes ie Santa Claus, will not be considered.
4. Each property will be judged on the external decorations only. No internal decorations will be considered.
5. The judges’ decision shall be final and no further correspondence shall be entered into.
6. Entrants agree to have their names and address disclosed for judging and publicity purposes.
7. Entrants agree to have their property photographed for judging and publicity purposes.
8. Entrants accept responsibility for the safety of their property with issues pertaining but not limited to: electricity, pedestrians, equipment, decorations, damage and insurance. Entrants must consider the impact of their display in relation to safety and security of their property, vehicular and pedestrian traffic and must plan to ensure that any risks are minimised. The security of all aspects of the display is the sole responsibility of the entrant.
9. Blacktown City Council and sponsors of this competition will accept no liability for any consequences such as damage, injury or theft arising out of entry to the competition or prizes accepted by entrants.
10. Charity collection boxes are prohibited unless a letter of authority from a registered charity is obtained and prominently displayed. Collections for personal gain of the entrant are strictly prohibited and will lead to disqualification from the competition.
11. Entrants are not to use the footpath, electrical poles or any property outside their boundary for any purpose of their display. Rental properties should seek written permission from their landlords before considering their display.
12. Failure to comply with the Terms and Conditions of Entry may lead to cancellation of entry and withdrawal of prizes.
13. Competition winners will be announced through social media and newspapers in November 2020.
Proudly Supported by