Stray animals


The Companion Animals Act 1998 requires that your dog must be adequately contained on your property. If your dog is in a public place and not in a designated off leash area, it must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held (or secured to) the person.

Any person (including Councils Animal Services Officers) can seize a dog that is in a public place and is not under the effective control of a competent person. Should the owner of the dog be present only an Animal Services Officer may seize the animal should the owner not comply with the above requirements.

Any dog, which is seized by a member of the public, is required to return the animal to its owner (if the owner is known) or contact Council to make arrangements for it to be transported to the Animal Holding Facility. Any person, who seizes a dog and does not return it to its owner or notify Council, is guilty of an offence, which may incur a fine.


Council does not seize stray, feral or roaming cats.

Council may collect cats by request, if they are appropriately contained. A fee may be charged for cats or kittens voluntarily surrendered to the Animal Holding Facility.

Seized dogs and cats

Council will house straying animals for 14 days, if the owner of that animal can be identified. If the owner cannot be identified, Council will house the straying animal for 7 days. If the animal is not claimed within these time periods, facility staff endeavour to sell the animal or re-home it to a welfare agency, however if unsuccessful, the animal may be euthanased.

Owners releasing a seized animal will be required to pay a release fee and maintenance fees for the keeping and sustenance of that animal.

All dogs and cats released, must be microchipped and lifetime registered.

For enquiries on lost animals, please contact Council's Animal Holding Facility. You can also search the list of dogs, cats and other animals currently held at the Animal Holding Facility through our PetsOnline database.

After Hours

Council's after hours service is only available for emergency situations involving a dangerous or restricted breed dog roaming or where a dog attack has occurred. Should you require assistance please contact the local Police who will contact Council's After Hours Service if they require assistance.


Should you find livestock roaming free or in a dangerous place please contact Council during business hours. If outside of business hours please contact the local Police.