Diwali Lights Competition 2019
Properties in running for 2019 Overall City Champion:
17 Ballinger Ave, RIVERSTONE
62 Ward Street, SCHOFIELDS
106 Mosiac Ave, THE PONDS
101 James Cook Drive, KINGS LANGLEY
57 Hampton Cres, PROSPECT
72 Steeltrap Drive, BUNGARRIBEE
Entries Closed 18 October
Following another successful round last year, Blacktown City's Diwali Lights Competition will be held again this October. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to get involved.
The ancient Hindu festival of Diwali celebrates the victory of light over darkness, with observers around the world lighting lamps and candles in and around homes and temples. These lights are said to help the goddess Lakshmi - goddess of wealth - find her way to homes and businesses. Adding to the colour are rangoli artworks on the floors of living rooms and courtyards; these are bright patterns (the most popular being a lotus flower) created from coloured sand, petals, flour or dry rice.
Cash prizes are available for the best decorated properties across our City’s 5 Wards.
The 2019 competition brings with it a brand new category for the Best Rangoli.
Once again we will recognise the City's 'Best Street'. The Best Street title acknowledges neighbours who come together in the spirit of Diwali to create a festive and culture-filled atmosphere in the street they each call home. To be eligible for the title of Best Street, you must have a minimum of 3 decorated properties entered in the same street.
Judging criteria will be based on the overall appeal of the decorations displayed on the outside of your property, and each properties rangoli.
Preliminary Judging and Photographing- from Monday 21 October to Friday 25 October inclusive, between 8 pm to 11 pm.
Final Round Judging- Sunday 27 October, between 8pm to 11pm.
Should you have any questions, please contact our Community Events Team on 9839 6000 or email@example.com
Proudly supported by Indian Link Media Group
Terms and conditions
1. This competition is available to residents of the Blacktown Local Government Area only.
2. Preliminary Judging and photography will be take place from Monday 21 October to Friday 25 October inclusive, between 8 pm until 11 pm. Final Round Judging will take place on Sunday 27 October, between 8pm and 11pm. Entrants must ensure to have their display ready to be judged during these times.
3. Judging is conducted through points awarded for the overall presentation of the property, and a separate score is given for the decoration of each properties rangoli. The prizes for this competition will be awarded on the basis of the scores given. Traditional Christmas ornaments or themes ie Santa Claus, will not be considered.
4. Each property will be judged on the external decorations only. No internal decorations will be considered.
5. The judges’ decision shall be final and no further correspondence shall be entered into.
6. Entrants agree to have their names and address disclosed for judging and publicity purposes.
7. Entrants agree to have their property photographed for judging and publicity purposes.
8. Entrants accept responsibility for the safety of their property with issues pertaining but not limited to: electricity, pedestrians, equipment, decorations, damage and insurance. Entrants must consider the impact of their display in relation to safety and security of their property, vehicular and pedestrian traffic and must plan to ensure that any risks are minimised. The security of all aspects of the display is the sole responsibility of the entrant.
9. Blacktown City Council and sponsors of this competition will accept no liability for any consequences such as damage, injury or theft arising out of entry to the competition or prizes accepted by entrants.
10. Charity collection boxes are prohibited unless a letter of authority from a registered charity is obtained and prominently displayed. Collections for personal gain of the entrant are strictly prohibited and will lead to disqualification from the competition.
11. Entrants are not to use the footpath, electrical poles or any property outside their boundary for any purpose of their display. Rental properties should seek written permission from their landlords before considering their display.
12. Failure to comply with the Terms and Conditions of Entry may lead to cancellation of entry and withdrawal of prizes.
13. Competition winners will be announced through social media and newspapers in November 2019.